Monday, October 1, 2012

Thoughts on Fifty Shades Of Grey

I never planned to read this book. I agreed to because opinions were asked for on the matter, and the only way to form an opinion and understanding about a book is to read it. After reading the first book to this three part series I am left understanding why it is that people might find it both appealing and offensive. On a whole the piece is complex, but written in a manner that pulls a reader in. We want to know what is happening to our characters, and we want to see them go through their actions. So before we even get into my thoughts on this first book, I am going to say that yes. Yes I think I will read the next book. Perhaps it will give a fuller reflection on things.

Fifty Shades Of Grey
EL James
356 pages

First off, I am going to say that the main characters shine. Each of them are presented not as flat, but as vibrant creatures with a deeper existence. They each have their reasons to hesitate, and they each have their reason to want to move forward in the relationship that is the focus of the book. Ana is our lead female character. Christian is our lead male character. The other characters are also very vibrant and I personally felt drawn into the book because of this.

The book itself though is best described as a harlequin romance novel on crack. It has the feel of a modern fairytale. In all honesty, it isn't a realistic situation. But it is a fiction piece so that is to be expected.  The thing that I can see having upset some people is the romanticized feel. It is written from the perspective of Ana, and at times it feels like a diary. We are never issued the perspectives or thoughts from other characters, other than what they may have said, or how she viewed them. It is very one sided in that respect.

I really think that having a copy of the supposed contract smack dab in the middle of the book was a bit annoying, and gives a false lead  to those who might be interested in this kind of situation. It is a whirlwind of activity in this book, and things move far to quickly. It is very unrealistic, and that said readers should be wary of what they think of parts of the book. There are a lot of things that are far from normal when it comes to BDSM, and there is no reason that this book should be used as a way to measure a relationship. In fact, if you're actually interested in BDSM as more than just something to read about for giggles, this book is  NOT for you.

Why do I say that? Well, it's not meant to be educational. It's meant to entice the imagination and give some of us  fluffy fuzzy thoughts. Of course, the situation would not seem fluffy to most people, but there are some of us to which this kind of book and parts of the situation are appealing. And I feel like I'm chasing my tail now.

In all honesty, after finishing the book. There's a few points I would like to express. Fans will likely disagree with me, but I already said that I do plan to read book two, to see how this may pan out. My first point is this, if you take out the contract and the proposed "room of pain", you are left with the kind of relationship many of us would call a high school stalker relationship. It's very high school-esque, but that makes it an easy read.

The book is definitely aimed at mature readers. But the unfortunate reality is that there are dozens of teens and tweens that are going to get a hold of this because of the hype, and parents not being discerning. If you are thinking about letting your teenager read this book, or see them doing so PLEASE read it, and feel free to explain to them that it is a work of fiction. It is not fact in the slightest.



1 comment:

  1. great publish, very informative. I ponder why the other experts
    of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing.
    I'm confident, you've a great readers' base already!
    Here is my website ... Fifty Shades of Grey

    ReplyDelete